The IFOAM Seeds Platform is a global network of individuals and organizations advancing seed and plant breeding for organic systems.
We need greater diversity and larger supply of high-quality, regionally adapted planting materials for organic producers all over the globe. Building these genetic resources and assuring their survival is an existential imperative. It will take all of us to be successful, the whole organic value chain and food system working together.
- Increase the use of organically multiplied seeds in organic and agroecological farming globally
- Select and improve breeding practices for organic agriculture that have environmental and societal benefit
- Widen options and revitalize breeding methods underutilized in conventional agriculture
- Assure access and create a model for intellectual property rights in organic agriculture
- Safeguard integrity of plant varieties against genetic contamination (GMOs, NGTs)
- Create market opportunities to make organic seed and its value chains economically competitive
The Seeds Platform has benefits for the whole value chain – breeders, seed companies, farmers, processors, traders, brands, retailers, and consumers. We value and encourage researchers, policy makers, and all other interested parties to become involved in this rewarding work.
For more information and to join our mailing list, contact David Gould, Secretary – seeds[at]ifoam.bio